When Urania was young/ All thought her heavenly/ With age her eyes grow larger/ But her form unmaidenly

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Yo! Smart Bitches!

So how do you feel when the Dumb Bitches (tm) like the same books you do?

I mean, sure, they also like the heaving bodices and lacy bosoms of heroines perhaps even less bright than they, in books that leave dents in your bedroom walls, but what you think of as Romance caviar:

The room full of women went uncharacteristically silent as Mr. Gerard appeared in the door...a collective intake of feminine breath at the sight of him--a golden, slightly wind-blown Gabriel come down to earth, minus nothing but the wings.

tastes just fine to them, squished delicately into their velveeta, indistinguishable from fish-salt.

$5.95 and they're part of the club, part of the conversation, chatting with you.

O, the agony of hearing those liver-colored, toad-clumsy tongues singing tone-deaf hymns to your very own goddesses!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I hate it mostly because it's very often misleading. I mean, here I think I've found a soul sister - someone who GETS it - only to find when I ask "have you found anyone even CLOSE to writing as well as Kinsale?" that they respond by recommending like Gaelan Foley. With a straight face.

Gushing about Gaelan Foley and Laura Kinsale. In the same breath. With a straight face.

So then, after I've decided that this is not, after all, a soul sister - and they start gushing about Kinsale again? I admit it, I think "my God, she doesn't even know how to like a thing for the right reasons! She's even LIKING it all wrong!"

But as we've discussed, I'm a snob.

And YOU are a Smart Bitch! Yay Paulsmartbitchery YAY!

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Ahhh, we must learn to embrace the smart and dumb, the yin and yang, the velvet elvis and the Paul Klee . . . that resides in each of our souls.

Not really an answer to your question, but can I get a few pretention points anyway? And, Beth, what about Kinsale and Ivory? Is that allowed? (They're mentioned in same breath writers for me.)

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home